My blog began as a way to vent my frustrations surrounding our struggle with infertility. I am now ELATED that it has moved from an infertility to pregnancy blog and finally our baby blog! The scars of infertility will never fade completely, and truthfully I don't want them to. Infertility has impacted our lives in a way nothing else ever could, and I'm very grateful for all it has taught me. At some point we will probably be traveling down this road again in order to complete our family, but for now we are enjoying our amazing little guy! He's so much more perfect than we ever imagined he could be. I guess it's true what they say...good things DO come to those who wait! :o)

Friday, January 7, 2011

It's all so technical!

Well I'm sure you've figured out by now this has to be the LEAST romantic way ever to make a baby, unfortunately it's the hand we've been dealt, so we're going with it.  So up to now I have had 2 follicle checks and was given the instructions to take my trigger shot.  Unfortunately I had to give the shot to myself.  Now I've never been one to be afraid of needles, or flip out when getting a shot, but GIVING one to myself seemed like a totally different ball game!  After talking to myself and trying to get all psyched up, I finally went for it.  Carefully, I uncapped the needle, pushed on the syringe just slightly to get the medicine to the end, pinched myself in the stomach, and stuck!  It was surprisingly VERY easy!  I couldn't have been prouder!  Kind of had me wondering if I'd gone into the wrong field.  Ha! Well, maybe not really...

After the trigger I had about a day and a half to wait until going back to the doctor.  Matthew had to go about an hour and a half earlier than I did.  He has to contribute to this whole thing somehow!  :o)  After the lab has the sample, they "wash" it (weird I know) coat it in special goo to help it survive and be as healthy as possible, then it waited for me.  I get to the office, sign in, co-pay, the whole 9 yards, and go get ready for "the procedure."  I apologize now if what I'm about to describe is a little more graphic than you care for.  If you feel like I've already given too much information about myself, you may want to skip over the IUI description!

So the nurse Jo (love her!) takes me back to the exam room like always, gives me the "usual" instructions (I'll leave those to your imagination...haha!) leaves the room, so I can do what she says, and a few minutes later, she and Dr. H come back in.  Here comes the big moment!  I had to lie back on the table, and out come those LOVELY stirrups we women love sooooo much.  Although at this point, the stirrups are second nature to me.  He explains that he is going to use a catheter to put all of the "stuff" where it needs to be.  I wasn't sure what to expect, and was waiting for it to be incredibly uncomfortable and possibly painful, but to my pleasant surprise it really wasn't.  So he puts the catheter in, uses a syringe to guide the boys to where they needed to go, and then it was over.  The catheter came out and we were done.  My only instructions were to lie back for about 5 minutes, then I could get dressed and go about the rest of my day like always.  Oh and to TRY not to think and stress about it for the next two weeks!  HAHA!  YA RIGHT!!!  Way easier said than done!

No comments:

Post a Comment