Week 27 down :o) This week has seen the continuation of nap time swaddle weaning. I can't begin to say how many times I was ready to cave and put him back in his SwaddleMe just to get a decent nap out of him! I always resisted because I knew in the end it would make things worse, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't appealing. Slowly but surely naps are getting a little better. He hasn't been resisting quite as badly. I typically put him down, wait about 10 min, and if he's not asleep, go back in to sway and bounce him one more time, and sing his bedtime song. This week (thankfully) that little routine has been very helpful and he's been falling asleep after I go in the 2nd time. Now he just needs to nap a little longer. He will sleep around an hour and wake up. If I don't go in fast enough to soothe him back to sleep he will get himself all riled up and then there is no getting him back down. I struggle with the balance of going in to soothe him back to sleep and just letting him go. By around 6 months babies should be able to start soothing themselves, but for some reason when he wakes up from a nap there really is no putting himself back to sleep. I'd much rather go in and help him along, than have a baby that only naps for an hour and is tired again an hour later. Slowly but surely we're making progress, so hopfully soon naps will be no big deal again.
We are visiting my parents for the weekend and then G and I are staying for the week. Matthew is going home, but will come back next weekend. I think it's safe to say Grandma and Grandpa are very excited and happy to have G visiting! They hadn't seen him for 2 months (other than on Skype), and boy has a lot changed in that time! He is now completely sitting up unsupported for significant amounts of time. I can set him down on the floor, walk out of the room, and he's still sitting there when I come back.
We also had his 6 month pictures taken this week. It's always so much fun! Just like his 3 mo and newborn pics they're going to be great! We've gotten a sneak peek of one of them and it's absolutely adorable! I cannot wait to see the rest!
Thanks to the crazy oppressive heat, G's first 4th of July was pretty uneventful. No cookouts or fireworks displays for us this year. It almost didn't even seem like a holiday. It was nice having Matthew home in the middle of the week though. We had a pretty easy going day, and tried to avoid the outside as much as possible. I am most definitely ready for the heat to LEAVE!
Well, since I can't post without a pic, here is G's first 4th of July and the sneak peek of his 6mo pics!
Happy 4th of July!
6 Month Portraits!
Adorable! Can't wait to see more from his 6 month photo shoot. We're working on similar nap things with Alidia. I am trying to wean her off the pacifier... well kind of trying... still needs a lot of work on the self soothing although she is pretty good at it at bed time, just not naps. Hope you have a great trip to visit your parents!! :)
ReplyDeleteOMG freakin' adorable!!! So great to hear he's doing well. You just keep on him with those naps. I was just gifted the book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby" from a friend who swears by it and I'm starting to learn just how important the sleep routine is! It's hard work but it will pay off down the road.
ReplyDelete