Wow, that's really sad. I just counted up the number of injections I have left, and by the time I reach my retrieval I will have done around 40 of them! I guess I should follow the title of my blog and remind myself just to take it one day at a time, or in this case, one shot at a time. If only it were the GOOD kind of shots. You know, the kind we all did in college??? ;o) I just have to keep thinking of the end result. These injections are (hopefully) leading to our baby.
The shots begin with Lupron. Lupron supresses the hormones produced in the Pituitary gland in order to prevent the ovaries from producing follicles and eggs. We don't want my body to do anything on it's own. That's what all the meds are for! If I would start producing follicles and ovulate on my own (and because my body LOVES to be tempermental, I'm sure THIS would be the time I actually would ovulate on my own)it would mess up the entire IVF cycle. We DON'T want that to happen. So the birth control and Lupron are now taking care of my hormones, making sure they don't do their real jobs.
All in all, the shot wasn't too bad. The medicine didn't burn at all, but the needle did a bit. I have to draw up the correct dosage into the syringe and then stick. The needle is small, so I'm not really sure why it stung so bad, but it did. At least I know what I'm in for from now on!
I know IVF isn't a guarantee. Many people have to go through two, three, or even four rounds before they finally achieve a successful pregnancy, but for some reason, I have a really good feeling about all of this. I was never real confident that the IUIs were going to work. Maybe that was the problem, there is something to be said for the power of positive thinking. Deep down, I think I always knew we would need to go the IVF route. I have my moments when I'm overwhelmed by it, but for the most part, I'm very at ease with everything that I have to do. I wasn't nervous about the injection this morning. Even though I know that in two weeks I'll be giving myself three injections a day, I'm still not that scared. I really feel like this is going to be the answer we need. Now the scary part about feeling so good about this, is I will be absolutely devestated if it doesn't work, but for now I can't focus on that. I'm at ease with everything, and plugging away towards the retrieval and transfer! Everything happens for a reason, and God does have a plan for us and our baby. I just have to pray and keep the faith that THIS is His plan.
We have so many people praying for us and this cycle. I am overwhelmed by all the support we've received. It makes me wonder why so many people choose to keep their infertility a secret. Then I realize though, that not everyone has the amazing support system that Matthew and I have. I am eternally grateful to all of our family and friends who know about and support our decision. I can't wait to share the amazing news with them in a few months, that all of our blood, sweat, and tears (literally) finally paid off. See...there's that positive thinking again!
My blog began as a way to vent my frustrations surrounding our struggle with infertility. I am now ELATED that it has moved from an infertility to pregnancy blog and finally our baby blog! The scars of infertility will never fade completely, and truthfully I don't want them to. Infertility has impacted our lives in a way nothing else ever could, and I'm very grateful for all it has taught me. At some point we will probably be traveling down this road again in order to complete our family, but for now we are enjoying our amazing little guy! He's so much more perfect than we ever imagined he could be. I guess it's true what they say...good things DO come to those who wait! :o)
Hi Pam,
ReplyDeleteYou don't know me, but I am Nicole Sancken's favorite mother-in-law. She has told me about your struggles and that she finally got to meet you in a round about way. She was very excited to meet someone going thru what she is. I just want to say that I am hoping and praying this all works for you, just like I hope and pray that it will work for Nicole too. Best of luck to you and just keep focusing on the end result when getting those shots. It will be so totally worth it.
Your positive thoughts are contagious. Thank you!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it helped! :o)
ReplyDelete