My blog began as a way to vent my frustrations surrounding our struggle with infertility. I am now ELATED that it has moved from an infertility to pregnancy blog and finally our baby blog! The scars of infertility will never fade completely, and truthfully I don't want them to. Infertility has impacted our lives in a way nothing else ever could, and I'm very grateful for all it has taught me. At some point we will probably be traveling down this road again in order to complete our family, but for now we are enjoying our amazing little guy! He's so much more perfect than we ever imagined he could be. I guess it's true what they say...good things DO come to those who wait! :o)

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Two weeks down!

It's really hard to believe that Griffin was two weeks old on Thursday.  Even harder to believe that today is two weeks since we brought him home.  I'm amazed at how fast time seems to be moving. 

We had his two week check up at the pediatrician on Thursday.  Of course, it would have to be on the first big snow of the season.  The weather has been so unbelievably warm for Dec/Jan that I almost forgot just how awful winter in Illinois actually is.  Thankfully we have a warm cover for G's car seat that helps shield him from the cold, wind, snow, etc.  This was also the first day that I had driven since the day before he was born.  After giving birth you're restricted from driving, they suggest two weeks, which I was good and followed.  Nothing like breaking us both back in on a LOVELY day...Anyway, we made it to the ped's office with no trouble (thank goodness!) and his check up went great.  He is above his birth weight and has grown almost a full 2 inches!  The doctor said his height was just soaring and even showed me the line graph that the stats are plotted onto.  His weight is increasing well also, but since he started on the lower end, it's going to take him a little longer to reach "average" in weight percentiles.  Not that I would ever want an unhealthy baby, but I can honestly say I was ok with his little size at birth.  It made pushing him out much easier!  :o)

Of course there always has to be a hang up.  Thursday evening one of his eyes was getting very goopy and gross looking.  Why it couldn't have started that morning while we were already at the doctor's office I'll never know, but that's how it worked out.  I googled the symptoms and decided it was probably a blocked tear duct.  I was trying some of the "home remedies" it listed for helping to unclog it, but on Friday morning it was looking worse instead of the same or better.  So I called the ped's office back.  After speaking to a nurse and giving her the info, she said she would talk to Dr. M and get back with me.  A few hours later she called and told me he thought it was also a blocked tear duct.  (Yea for Dr. Google and I being right!)  Dr. M said to continue to wipe it clean with a warm, wet, clean cloth and to massage the area between the inner eye and the bridge of the nose often to work the blocked tissue and gunk out.  (Again, yea for Dr. Google and I doing the right thing!)  We did those things over and over yesterday, and I'm so happy that this morning it looks SO MUCH BETTER!  There is still a little bit of yellow goo that comes out, but at least his poor little eye isn't stuck shut by all of it any longer.  He is looking much better finally :o) 

And of course because I can't post without a picture, here is one of my favs from this past week.  G is 9 days old and snuggling with his momma :o) 

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet photo! Glad to hear the eye goop is taken care of and that Griffin is doing well. Yeah, Thursday was just about the worst day for you to have to drive for the first time in 2 weeks. I went home early and almost slid into an intersection in Evanston! Good thing I've had years of Chicago snow driving instinct to tell me to "pump it!" :)

    ReplyDelete