My blog began as a way to vent my frustrations surrounding our struggle with infertility. I am now ELATED that it has moved from an infertility to pregnancy blog and finally our baby blog! The scars of infertility will never fade completely, and truthfully I don't want them to. Infertility has impacted our lives in a way nothing else ever could, and I'm very grateful for all it has taught me. At some point we will probably be traveling down this road again in order to complete our family, but for now we are enjoying our amazing little guy! He's so much more perfect than we ever imagined he could be. I guess it's true what they say...good things DO come to those who wait! :o)

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Dreaded Two Week Wait...

So for those who are trying to conceive the two weeks between ovulation and when you can test, or your period arrives is referred to as the "two week wait" or 2WW for short.  This is the LONGEST two weeks of your life, and it happens over and over and over again if you're not one of the lucky few who get pregnant right off the bat.  We have now gone through the 2WW 12 times.  It doesn't get any easier, in fact the 2WW following our IUI was the worst one yet.  By the time you move on to fertility treatments, especially more invasive treatments involving more than just medicine, it is much more stressful.  So much time, effort, and money has gone in to a cycle like that, and the last thing you want to find out is that it didn't take.

For most patients IUI has about a 20% success rate.  Does that seem low, you bet it does, but it's the same chance that a healthy, fertile couple has each month.  It kind of amazes me that anyone is able to get pregnant because that seems like such a small chance!  Since I have a diagnosed fertility problem, Dr. H told us that our chances of a "natural" conception were only about 2%.  I'd take 20% over 2% any day! 

So here we are waiting, waiting waiting, and the big day arrives, or should I say dreaded day...test day.  As much as I didn't want to, I followed the instructions given to me by one of the nurses, and tested on the 13th day after my IUI.  Unfortunately the test result was not what we had hoped and prayed for.  Since the first test was negative, I was supposed to retest 2 days later.  I did that as well and it had the same result.  Our first IUI had failed.  The only thing to do was wait for the start of my next cycle and begin again...

No comments:

Post a Comment