Well I went today for my first follicle check after starting my injections. I wasn't sure what to expect. Everyone stimulates differently so I could have responded well, or not well at all. I've definitely been anxious to see how well my body decided to respond to the drugs!
I got a very pleasant surprise! The last time I was there, when we were discussing starting the injections, he told me the goal was follicles that measured 17mm or larger. I had 2 measuring 19mm, one measuring 13, and one at 11! I asked if he was worried about them growing too much too fast, thinking maybe he didn't want to see any mature yet, but he was very pleased with the results, and said even the 13 was promising! The lining of my uterus is a little thin, but that's not real surprising, and you'll see why in just a minute.
He told me to take one more injection at the same dose tonight, take my trigger shot to force ovulation tomorrow, and then my IUI would be on Friday! This process definitely went quicker than I expected it to! I thought we'd be doing the IUI early next week.
Now as for why my lining is thin. It needs to be a certain level of thickness in order for a fertilized egg to have a good place to implant and grow. If the lining is too thin, the egg won't be able to fully attach, and the pregnancy won't be viable and a very early miscarriage would occur. Most people don't know they're miscarrying when it's that early. It comes just like a period. Anyway back to my lining. My lining is thin because I got a very shocking surprise yesterday afternoon. My period started. My doctor started me on the meds even though I hadn't had a full bleed last week. I thought the shots would prevent it this month, so I was actually kind of happy about starting meds and not dealing with a period. Well, my body decided otherwise. I called the doctor's office in a bit of a panic, thinking that all the money and meds were just wasted. They told me that this has happened to a few other patients, and it's nothing to worry about. Thankfully they were right. My follicles grew anyway! I asked if the thin lining was a problem, and he said not to worry about it yet. There are medicines that can be administered to thicken the lining, so I'm wondering if I will have to take that, but I will find out more on Friday when I go for the IUI I guess.
I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but this follicle check definitely made me very happy!
My blog began as a way to vent my frustrations surrounding our struggle with infertility. I am now ELATED that it has moved from an infertility to pregnancy blog and finally our baby blog! The scars of infertility will never fade completely, and truthfully I don't want them to. Infertility has impacted our lives in a way nothing else ever could, and I'm very grateful for all it has taught me. At some point we will probably be traveling down this road again in order to complete our family, but for now we are enjoying our amazing little guy! He's so much more perfect than we ever imagined he could be. I guess it's true what they say...good things DO come to those who wait! :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment