My blog began as a way to vent my frustrations surrounding our struggle with infertility. I am now ELATED that it has moved from an infertility to pregnancy blog and finally our baby blog! The scars of infertility will never fade completely, and truthfully I don't want them to. Infertility has impacted our lives in a way nothing else ever could, and I'm very grateful for all it has taught me. At some point we will probably be traveling down this road again in order to complete our family, but for now we are enjoying our amazing little guy! He's so much more perfect than we ever imagined he could be. I guess it's true what they say...good things DO come to those who wait! :o)

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Retrieval Day!

Well, to say that today was the egg retrieval would be the understatement of the year. Now that I have your attention, I'll come back to that statement in a bit while I walk you through the morning. Annoyed with me?!?! :o)

The retrieval was scheduled for 9:00 and I had to be at the office by 8:15 for procedure prep. We arrived and were the first couple there. Turns out my retrieval was the first of the day as well. I liked having the first one, the doctor was nice and fresh that way! We signed the anesthesia payment form, so they could submit everything to insurance. Nurse Luanne took me back and I changed into my lovely hospital gown. She took my BP, pulse, and temp, had me sign the anesthesia release form, and I had to fill out a medical questionaire. She went over my new protocol calendar with me, and also gave me a paper with info for what to do after the retrieval and transfer, as well as warning signs of OHSS to watch for. Hopefully they are nothing we have to worry about! She had me lie back on the gurney and then started my IV. While I was being prepped, Matthew was off doing his business, and when he was done they let him come back and sit with me while we waited for the procedure to start. And now because I'm sure you're just dying to see my before pics...here I am waiting to be taken to the procedure room!


The anesthesiologist came in to talk to me real quick, checked my heart and lungs, asked a couple of questions and said that everything looked good, and he'd see me in the room. A few minutes later Nurse Jo came to get me. She let me use the bathroom one more time, and Matthew went to the waiting room. I walked into the procedure room and she helped me sit and get situated on the table. I was all ready to go when Dr. H came in and the anesthesiologist told me that it was time to go to sleep. The last thing I remember is the speculum, which as it turns out, when you're in the process of being put under, the speculum isn't bad. ha!

The next thing I knew I was back in my prep/recovery room and one of the nurses was waking me up. I kind of remember telling her that this was an improvement from the last time I was put under, I wasn't crying as I came out of it this time, and she laughed. I'm sure they hear all kinds of crazy things when patients are coming to. They hooked me back up to the blood pressure and heart rate monitors to check my vitals for a while afterwards, and I was in and out of sleep. I really don't know how long I was in recovery, but Dr. H came in to check on me at one point and asked how I was feeling. He then told me (and here's what the first sentence was referring to) that he retrieved 41 EGGS! I said, how many? And he repeated 41, I was shocked! I knew I had over 40 follicles but I figured several of them would be so small that there wouldn't be eggs in them.

The nurses checked my vitals a few more times, took out my IV and helped me sit up to try and regain my balance. Matthew came back and helped me get dressed. Once I was dressed and could stand up, they gave me the "hallpass" back and told us we could check out with the receptionist and we were good to go. They told us again that I did great and to call if there were any concerns or questions.

So now I'm resting, and trying to be as patient as I can. Merry Kay, my coordinator, will call tomorrow morning with the fertilization report. Even though we got 41 eggs, not all of them are mature and therefore can't fertilize. If they aren't mature the embryologist will just dispose of them. I'm so anxious to hear how it went! One thing's for sure, the embryologist is going to be busy today! Matthew has been home taking care of me today. He went to get me lunch, gatorade and a new thermometer. I have to take my temp every day until the transfer. If I have a fever the transfer can't happen because my body will reject the embryo(s).

One last thing, sorry this is getting long. Thank you SO MUCH to everyone for their positive thoughts, words and prayers. It means so much to me to have your support! You have really helped make this process easier! Stay tuned for tomorrow's news!

9 comments:

  1. OH.MY.GOSH! That is a ton. I'm glad everything went so well for you though. And you're before pictures look great. But why didn't you take any after?? LOL. :) I'm just as excited as you are (well, okay, maybe not quite as excited) to see what Merry Kay tells you tomorrow. I would sure think at least 1/2 of them would be mature. Good luck and take it easy today! Are you working tomorrow? Did removing the eggs take some of bloating away for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm definitely not working tomorrow. At our consult Dr. H said day of and day after each procedure to take off work. The bloating has gotten a lot better! I almost look normal again! Hopefully it stays away. I'm doing my best to flush all the excess fluid out of my system trying to prevent OHSS. Hopefully it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW! You are the champion egg maker! Can't wait to hear tomorrow's report! Get some rest and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! Congrats Pam! So happy for you! And yes, I'm still waiting for some "After" pictures too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol sorry no after pics. Before is the best you get!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG what amazing news!!!!! I hope your recovery is swift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait for today's report! I'm glad the anesthesia went well for you... I remember I wanted to hug everyone when I came to after our transfer. LOL... I was feeling the love and wanted to share it!

    I'm glad your bloating has gone down... here's hoping you don't experience a lot of bloating once the PIO starts. That's what always got me. But just remember, if you do, it's all for a great cause! And you're going to be "bloated" for real for the next several months anyway, so what's a few extra weeks? :)

    And regarding the fever, I just wanted to let you know not to freak out if your temp goes up, as long as it's just slightly. I actually had a really low-grade fever the morning of our transfer. I can't remember what their cut-off was, but I was still under it so they moved ahead with the transfer. And we know how that ended! :)

    OK- rest up and enjoy having Matthew wait on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that the bloating has went down. And yes, flush, flush away to keep from having OHSS. I told dh how many eggs you had retrieved and he was like holy moly! :)

    ReplyDelete